Well, February is here, traditionally the month of hearts and flowers and what better time to focus on the red shade of the Pantone 2017 Spring/Summer palette, namely: Flame.
As you can see this is a red that is veering towards the warm orange end of the spectrum:
But don't focus too much on the exact shade - this prompt definitely lends itself to red, deep coral shades, dark oranges as a colour accent and you can pair them up with other more subtle shades.
The Pinterest image I picked this month gives you some scope to focus on hearts and flowers. :)
Remember your card doesn't need to be just Flame red!
Sometimes using a colour sparingly makes it pop and stand out all the more. :)
Here are some initial ideas:
- Hearts - you can never go wrong with a heart added here and there - why not take it to another level and use a heart that isn't made from plain paper: felt, resin embellishments, buttons, woven paper/ribbon, a heart shaker window filled with sequins and beads, a knitted or crochet heart...
- Ribbon and twine - have you got red striped or polka dot ribbon languishing in a jar somewhere, well this could be the time to bring it out! It would look great contrasting against a kraft background
- The language of love - flowers are always great on a card, why not go with iconic red flowers like roses, poppies, or even tulips?
- Valentine's Day - well it had to be on the list!
- Mail theme - why not create a mini envelope for the front of your card to hold a gift card or the sentiment?
- The image shows some crepe paper streamers in the background - what about using different shapes of paper to create a layered background, you could also replicate the frayed edges
- Keep Calm and... go with that iconic poster
Ink tips - if you have amassed a fine collection of inks over the years, here are a few shades I have that could fit the bill for replicating Flame from warm orange into red:
- MFT - Persimmon
- Distress Ink - Ripe Persimmon
- Prima Chalk Ink - Fall Leaf
- PTI - Terracotta Tile
- Adirondack - Red Pepper
- Distress Ink - Barn Door
So over to you - happy crafting!